Sunday, March 1, 2009

Random musings on rice for breakfast


I like to think of myself as pretty attuned to the Indonesian psyche ... as much as any white Canadian can be, anyways. But one leap I was never able to make: Having rice for breakfast.

Now, I know it's far healthier than any sugar-laden product from Kellogg's, or the deadly bacon-and-eggs combo that clogs up most Western arteries. But I could never wrap my mind around rice in the morning. In fact I was so psychologically damaged after my first stint in Indonesia, that I couldn't eat (or even look at) rice - at any time of day - for at least six months afterwards.

Now, I suppose since much of the country is around or below the poverty line, you eat what you've got. Which, with that climate and terrain, is usually rice. Understood. And perhaps one day I'll get beyond my biases, and enjoy some basmati or jasmine varieties as the sun comes up. But until then, nasi goreng in the a.m. is one cultural bridge too far ...


Today's Top Stories

Battles Juarez to a draw

Thai star takes golf tourney by two strokes

Indonesia leads successful $3 billion issue

Former general lags badly in polls

5 comments:

Brett said...

Funny, after three years living here, I can't (um) live without the stuff. I don't eat it for breakfast, but that's only because there is so much fruit available (which I eat instead).

Did you ever try sweetening rice? Yum!

schmerly said...

Prabowo for pres? if he ever got there he may have problems gallivanting around the world, as I believe there's still an international arrest warrant out on him over the Timor Leste slaughter.

Christopher Taylor said...

Brett, I'll make an exception for rice pudding ... my weak spot ... :)

Anonymous said...

I guess it's a habit that you need to grow up with. Just like the Danes who grew up eating ryebread since they were 2 years old, my stomach would still feel empty if I don't a proper bubur ayam or nasi pecel for breakfast

Unknown said...

Great post and you have put so information. You may Purchase Revia online so that you can have cheap medicine.