Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Sultan Goes Online

I've always wondered how divine religious figures throughout history - Jesus, Buddha, Muhammad, etc. - would cope with modern society. Would they be on Facebook? Would they Twitter?

I'm being facetious of course, but here's a real-world example. Java's divine Sultan, Hamengkubuwono X (related to Malcolm X?), is aiming for the country's presidency, and has set up a website to help him get there.

Nothing technologically Earth-shattering here - the usual tidbits like a 'Statement of the Day,' a smattering of bad campaign photos, and a boring news feed. But I do like that they have a contact page for someone who's supposedly semi-divine. Does God send e-mail? I hope his missives don't go into my bulk folder ...

As for the his connection to the heavens, given that SBY is leading in the polls by such a healthy margin, the Sultan might need all the help he can get.


Today's Top Stories

What about the Papuan penis gourd, dammit

Banking sector is fine shape, says BI

$300m investment, fending off Chinese buying spree?

Government's Islamic bond sale exceeds expectations

2 comments:

Alaksir said...

I'm assuming the allusion to Malcolm X is a joke, right?

Christopher Taylor said...

But of course! And you can call me Chris X.